Tuesday 28 September 2010

Living it Up


When I decided to move to England, people kept asking me what my long term plans were. Both for myself and for Matt and I. I told everyone that I was on the wait and see plan. It was hard to know how everything was going to work and both Matt and I tried to be realistic by sticking to the two year visa timeline.

As time has gone by, and I've almost been here for a year already, we've had quite a few more discussions about future plans. Sometimes I begrudge being an international couple because instead of having to decide what neighbourhood we might live in, we have to think about what country we might want to live in. Matt pointed out that the most rational decision would be to live a few years in each country and then decide which one worked best. I would say that my initial bias was, obviously, to live in Canada. When I told my dad about these discussions that we'd been having, he told me that we could be citizens of the world. I really like the sound of that.

As I am a planner by nature, I have now created a hypothetical ideal timeline for the next few years. Matt's sister is getting married in May of 2012 and it doesn't really make sense to make a move to another country before her wedding. Working on that basis, the move back to Canada has tentatively been penciled in for the summer of 2012. Its much nicer to move during the summer months anyways. This plan leaves plenty of time for Matt to finish his qualifications at work and to apply for a transfer and for me to put in more time with Youth Justice Services and get more work experience.

The other week I heard a comedian say that he hates when people say that travel is their 'thing'. Mostly because everyone likes to travel and so you can not claim it as your own. Your 'thing' needs to be more quirky and possibly outrageous. Travel might not be our 'thing' but it is certainly an interest that Matt and I share and are hoping to make the most of while we live in Europe. To that end, a travel wish list has been created so that cities and countries can be checked off.

The list includes (but is not limited to): Turkey (which will be checked off in a few days), Prague, Italy, Budapest, Copenhagen, Sweden or Norway to watch the Northern Lights, Stockholm, Egypt. Florida and New York are also on the list but are not European countries. I'm hoping that we can make a few weekends trips to check out some amazing cities. I want to be able to look back on my time living in England and know that I truly made the most of it.

I have also been trying to get involved in more activities locally. London has SO much to offer that it can be overwhelming. I'm working my way through most of the musicals in the West End. To date I have seen: Dirty Dancing, Grease, Lion King, We Will Rock You, Wicked, Sister Act, Avenue Q. I had already seen Hairspray, Cats and Les Miserables in Canada. When my mom comes to visit we'll be going to see Billy Elliot.

I've also been trying to find out more about comedians, concerts and festivals. That is why in the past week or so I've seen Russell Peters (comedian), attended the Vegan Festival and saw the band MGMT.


When I was at MGMT on Friday night and Matt and I were rocking out I just stopped and thought, 'my life is pretty fantastic right now and I'm genuinely happy'. This was a really big deal since I am usually so full of anxiety that I can't always enjoy what I am doing.

Since I have started working for the Youth Justice Service I can honestly say that I am exponentially happier living in England. I have a job where I am appreciated and I want to be there. I really like all the people working in my office and for the most part look forward to going to work in the morning. It helps that my commute is an 8 minute walk.

Matt and I are heading to Turkey on Tuesday. I'm so looking forward to having a full week to relax and re-connectwith each other. Every day has been so rainy here and I can't wait for 27 degree sunshine for 7 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment