Thursday 16 December 2010

It finally clicked




I’ve been driving the new car for about two weeks now and I would say that It’s going much better. The first few times out with Matt in the car were nerve wracking for both of us. He was sat in the passenger set squeezing his fists and trying to break on his side. His anxiety was making me feel even more nervous and his telling me that I was too close to the curb every 5 seconds didn’t help anyone!

I was still glad to have him in the car though for when I wasn’t completely sure of when to go or what to do. I soon realized that I was relying on him too much and I was going to need to conquer driving on my own once and for all.

I can’t really explain exactly what changed but one day, on my way to work, I approached the roundabout and everything just clicked. As if a picture had been out of focus and I could finally see it clearly. I don’t know why it took a year for roundabouts to make sense to me but it just did. I can now come up to the roundabout and not completely panic and forget how to drive!

Every once in awhile in the car I have a moment where I have to really stop and think about what side of the road I’m meant to be driving on. I haven’t gone the wrong way yet and I don’t think it will happen. It’s more like my rational brain fighting against 9 years worth of driving on the other side.

I’m also adjusting to use the satellite navigation system Sat Nav or Tom Tom. I’ve never used one before so it was a bit confusing at first. I’m out there driving around to young people’s houses and I have no idea where I am or where I’m supposed to be going and have to really on this electronic map to guide. I have occasionally argued with the Tom Tom when it has told me to turn around when possible but I was going the wrong direction (away from home no on the road) and it was a single lane highway. I’m used to getting lost but it’s a whole new level of disorientation here.

It’s improving every day and I’m getting used to the roads. I think Matt still worries about me out on the road. Especially when he gets frantic phone calls from me when I’m driving on the back roads and can’t figure out how to get back to a main road to get home. He has been very patient and trusting of me with the brand new car.

I still prefer to be the passenger but I have to admit it is really nice to be able to drive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment