Monday 15 February 2010

Goodbye debt collections, Hello youth justice!

Last Wednesday was the second interview/training induction day for working with Surrey Youth Justice. I wasn't sure if being invited back to the second day was a guaranteed job offer but as it turns out it was! They were looking to create a bank of staff to run a variety of projects under the umbrella of Youth Justice. Including taking youth on community service projects, running day time programs and filling in where needed. This is not a full time post but its a big step in the right direction of at least working for an organization that I'm interested in and that run all of the programs that I would like to be involved with.

I left the training day on Wednesday with mixed emotions. On the one side I was really happy that pending my criminal record check, I will be formally hired by a great justice organization. On the other side I had to make a decision about working at the debt collections agency. Both managers had separately approached me and offered me a permanent position. I had managed to deflect the offers with non-comittal responses so I wouldn't burn any bridges or blurt out a rude comment about how much I hate working there. The people in the office are nice and have been friendly towards me but the actual work I can't handle.

I had an intense internal struggle where I knew that the responsible, mature and logical move would be to stay at the debt collections agency until I heard back that my criminal record check was clear. What I wanted to do was call them and say I was never coming back! My compromise was to offer to stay until the end of the month. It was very odd that me as the temp was in the position of power.

Through Matt's coaching I managed to get an extra 3 pounds 50 per hour for my last two weeks. I negotiated that at my current rate it wasn't really worth it for me to stay. Translation: you need me more than I need you. My manager called me an opportunist but agreed. And now I only have 9 days left of working there plus I'm training my replacement.

Once I've finished working there I will be concentrating on driving lessons and proving to Matt that he can safely hand over his car keys to me!

It seems like things are slowly starting to fall into place here and I will be able to get job experience in my field and continue applying for jobs within Surrey Youth Justice since I already have one foot in the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment