Friday 21 May 2010

Very Good Fortune

It's been an interesting two weeks. Sometimes I am taken by complete surprise and gratitude when it comes to my life and how events unfold.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I've started a volunteer job with Surrey Youth Justice Services as a community panel member. I thought that it was a good way to meet some new people and make a few connections in the youth justice world. After the volunteer training concluded, the co-ordinator scheduled one-on-one follow up meetings with each of us.

When I arrived for my meeting, she said to me 'don't get too excited but I might have a job opportunity for you'. Of course I got excited! She told me that one of the departments (ISSP, intensive supervision and surveillance program) was looking for a support worker to work tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Young people who are on ISSp have to account for 25 hours of their week. My role would be to create their timetables, co-ordinate with their youth justice officer and schedule their programs (i.e. anger management, substance misuse counselling etc). She said that this role would also allow me to do other sessional work on the other days of the week. Most importantly it was a way in with the council and with a department that is very difficult to get into it.

This all sounded amazing! The only downside? I had just started my new temp role at proctor and gamble. The role (as with most of my 'temp' jobs) was very involved and technical. P & G is a high security company and in order to use any of their computer systems, you have to get so many passwords and get trained on each system. I felt so lost trying to figure out what I was going to be doing. Everyone seemed like they were speaking in code because there are thousands of acronyms for everything. I used to go to the supermarket and buy some shampoo and never think twice about the packaging or the buy 2 get 1 free deals. Now I was involved in the behind the scenes of how those products went from idea to the store.

I was so happy at the prospect of this new role but I didn't want to screw over the new people that I was working with. My other big concern was that Matt's dad works for Proctor and Gamble. That's how I found out that they were looking for temps and how I knew the right people to call and get an interview. I didn't want to embarrass him or cause any problems for him since he still works there.

As usual, I completely over reacted and misjudged the situation. Matt's dad was very supportive and told that I needed to do what was right for me. When I told my manager that I would be leaving, she thanked me for being open and honest and said that it sounded like a really great opportunity. Everyone one me team said that they were disappointed to see me go but knew that they couldn't hold me back from a job that I had studied for and that was in my field. I thought that the people who trained me would be irritated that I had wasted their time. Instead, I got a nice e-mail saying it had been a pleasure working with me and thanking me for my support. I also got a gift bag of products as a parting gift! They also told me that if the new job didn't work out, I could come back whenever I wanted. I'm still blown away by how well I was treated.

On Tuesday after work, I went to meet with my future manager to discuss the details of my new job. This was the first time that I had ever been offered a job without applying and without an interview. He told me more details about the role and said that he was happy to give me this opportunity to work with young people since he knew that I had been trying to get involved since I had come to the U.K. The job is less days per week but pays more then my temp job. My contract is only sessional and will be up for review in september. I figure that if I made that good of an impression in two weeks at Proctor & Gamble, I will make an even better impression working in the new job for three months. Especially since I'll actually know what I'll be talking about!

I also got a phone call on Tuesday from another job that I had applied for a few weeks ago to be a teaching assistant. I felt like I was drowning in good fortune. It had gone from no prospects and almost giving up to having two job and an interview. I had to withdraw my application for the teaching assistant job but its for an even better job.

Six months to the day of arriving in England, I was offered a youth justice job. I think that's pretty amazing. I'm starting to feel like myself again. I'm willing to admit that since moving here, I have felt a little bit lost and questioned my decision to move. I have spent way too much time worrying about how it was all going to work out. I now have a job, a volunteer job and I'm starting to have my own group of friends. All of those things are helping me build up some of the independence and confidence that had begun to fade a little bit.

I start the new job on Tuesday. I'll have two weeks of working before going back to Canada. I'm even more excited about my trip now knowing that I get to come back to England to a great job that I want to do. I have been feeling so fortunate and grateful in the job department. I'm also proud of myself for not giving up and being persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment