Monday 26 July 2010

Smooth Sailing

I sometimes use my blog to vent and complain. Luckily this skill has helped me fit in in England since complaining (or moaning) is a national pastime. However, my life is going extremely well at the moment and thought that it might be worth reflecting on some of the very positive events that have been happening lately.

Work: I have been very busy at work the past few weeks. I was getting too efficient at doing just my job and now I am helping to cover for two other people’s job while they are on holiday and sick leave! I’m still at the bottom at the totem pole and need to work really hard to prove myself. I think its working and I’m being given more freedom and responsibility. I’m also in charge of projects that will be shown when special guests come for tours of our department. I really like the people on my team and I like my days off but I look forward to going to work now. I’ve been given permission to work another day per week – so now I’m on four days per week while I’m helping cover for other people. I also got another job, as a youth worker at a local youth centre in the evenings but that won’t start until September. It’s a little bit uncertain working in the government and major cuts are happening. I’m really hoping that I will still have a place there in September once some cuts have been made and people are re-shuffled.

Travel: I am trying to make the most of living in Europe and being so close to so many countries. I went to Amsterdam with my friend Adrienne who lives is Canadian but lives in Germany and is moving back to Canada at the end of August. We realized that we have actually travelled to quite a few places together: Germany, Vienna, Arizona, England and now Amsterdam. The trip was very fun. I love all of the history in European cities. I won’t go into too much detail but we did venture to Red Light District and checked out a few coffee shops.

Matt and I also have a lot of travel plans for the next year. The first weekend in September, we are planning to go to either Devon or Cornwall on the coast in England. There’s a plan for a sun holiday in early October to either Turkey or Spain. Next year for my birthday we’re looking at going to Italy. So much to look forward to!

Visitors: I am very excited about the visitors that are planning to come and see me. First up is Mandy (my non-sexual lesbian life partner). She’s going to be here at the end of August and it will have been almost a whole year since we’ve seen each other. We used to live a few blocks away from each other in Vancouver, which meant that we saw each other all the time. Then she went and moved to Kelowna and I went and moved to England.

My mom is planning to come in the middle of October for 10 days. I can’t wait to show her my life here and introduce her to Matt’s family. Hopefully she’s planning to travel without her puppets or other practical jokes…

Matt and me: we survived our first real fight and in a way I’m actually really glad. Fighting and not speaking for a day was not fun at all but it brought to the light some real issues that needed to be dealt with. Neither of us has lived with a partner before and so we are muddling through together trying to sort out grown-up relationship stuff like budgets and chores. I trust in myself and in him and the knowledge that we want the same things. This is my first grown-up relationship where a fight doesn’t equal a break-up and you can feel anger and love just as intensely and sometimes at the same time. It’s wonderful, confusing, frustrating and exciting but I’m happy and in love with him.

Health: Awhile back I mentioned that I had given up wheat, dairy and sugar and had lost a bit of weight. I became frustrated when I was eating so well and the weight wouldn’t budge so I decided to see a nutritionist for some advice and support. She’s works at a holistic health centre and has made some very helpful suggestions that seem to have made a big difference. I’ve also become (except for eggs) basically a vegan. The focus tens to be on what you can’t eat instead of what you can. I’ve been creative and read recipes online all the time. My body seems to have responded really well and I’ve been feeling really good. I’ve been trying my best to be realistic and in my gym attendance and now that we have a Nintendo Wii – I can work out at home. That’s not a cop-out the Wii fit is actually really tough!

I’m finally starting to feel settled here. I still miss my old life in Canada but I’m enjoying my new life in England more each day.

1 comment: