Tuesday 20 April 2010

Best Ever Granola!

I'm not temping this week so that means I'm baking. I bought 'Babycakes' a dairy,wheat and sugar free baking cookbook based on a bakery in New York (thanks Courtney for the suggestion). I've found some of the ingredients but a field trip to Whole Foods in London is in store to get the rest.

In the mean time I made granola today and I'm making spelt bread for the first time on Friday night. I LOVE this granola and always have some frozen in our tiny freezer. The trouble is I eat so much of it! Matt doesn't eat it so I can't blame him for how fast it disappears. I thought I would share the recipe since I know there are other foodie/baked good lovers out there who read this.

Enjoy!

Ready in 40 minutes - makes 16 1/2 servings
1/2 cup ground or coarsely chopped flaxseeds
6 cups old-fashioned or longer cooking oat flakes (I just use quaker oats)
2 cups sliced, unsalted almonds
1 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 tsp each sea salt and cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apples, chopped into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Line two cookie sheets with unbleached parchment paper (your hands will be sticky after mixing so its easier if these are ready to go)
3. Combine dry ingredients in a very large bowl. Add liquid and fruit ingredients and stir well. (I mix it with my hands. It's messier but I find it works much better for getting everything to stick together)
4. Bake for 30 minutes BUT check on it every 10 minutes and use a spatula to stir it. The dried fruit tends to burn unless you give it a shake every 10 minutes or so.
5. Remove from oven and let cool before putting in airtight containers. Freezes very well.

NOTE: This makes a HUGE amount of granola and I usually only make 1/2 a batch. The recipes halves very well. Also - I've used other dried fruit before when I didn't have dried apples and it turned out fine.

I hope you love it as much I do. This item would be sold at the fantasy Gold Owl Bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment